Sermon Text: Mark 1:21-28
- How does Jesus demonstrate His authority in Mark 1:21-28?
- Do the people recognize His authority? Why, do you think?
- What identification did the demon possessed man make?
- If Jesus is in authority, what do we owe Him?
- How do we know if we are living under the authority of Jesus?
The authority of Jesus is identified in this passage. In addition, Paul prays specific things for us, linking our knowledge of Christ to a true picture of who He is. How does this help us?
This passage defines the authority of Jesus how? How does the command and the promise go together?
Small Group Questions
- Who is in authority over you? List people and responsibilities.
- Are you comfortable living under the authority of others, or is that uncomfortable for you? Explain.
- Can you think of other ways (besides the story in Mark 1:21ff) that Jesus will demonstrate His authority throughout the gospel stories?
- What activities have a place in your life simply because Jesus commands them?
- Do we confuse the authority of Jesus with the authority of the church?
- What is the nature of the authority of the church?
- Is there anything you suspect that God is asking you to do that you have not yet chosen to do? Is there an obedience gap in your life?
- Does God ask the same thing of everyone? Is there something God has asked you to do that seems unfair, since others don’t have to do it?