“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.” John 15:1
The True Vine
You brought a vine out of Egypt; you drove out the nations and planted it. You cleared the ground for it, and it took root and filled the land. Psalm 80:8-9
Why have you broken down its walls so that all who pass by pick its grapes? Boars from the forest ravage it and the creatures of the field feed on it. Psalm 80:12-13
Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:4
- I am loved in Jesus
- I am secure in Jesus
- I have purpose in Jesus
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5
- Do you ever feel pressure to have to change the world around you? If yes, explain.
- What is the motivation for serving in your particular area of service? (sense of obligation vs. moved by love/compassion)
- What does it mean to you that Jesus is the ‘true vine?’ What hope/encouragement does that bring to you?
- How is your service different when you are able to stay ‘connected to the vine?
- How can you ‘remain in the vine’ on a consistent basis? What does that mean or look like for you? What, if anything, would need to change in your life?