Sermon Text: Mark 10:35-44—Ransom
- Jesus challenged the existing world order. Rather than trying to gain status and position to get others to serve you, Jesus invited his followers to become servants to others. Who is to be the object of our service?
- God demonstrated this principle of serving others by freeing Israel from Egypt, without first demanding anything from them. God served the slaves. What does this tell you about God’s heart toward humans?
- If ransom means “release from,” from what things does the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus release us?
- 1 Timothy 2:1-6 reminds us to pray for everyone. Why should we do this? Should we pray for scoundrels and criminals? Why?
- Sometimes the instruction to be merciful or forgiving feels like a task or a drudgery to us. Why does it feel that way? How is it that the “release” that Christ gives to us brings us the freedom to stop carrying grudges or keeping score of debts owed to us?